Mining is a very popular industry that a lot of people do not even think of. There are thousands of companies around who mine all of the metals and minerals that make almost everything that we hold dear in our lives. Here are some facts about mining that you may not have known:
- Gold and copper were the first metals to be discovered by man around 5,000 BC
- Archeologists have unearthed copper drain pipes from as far back as 3,500 BC that are still in good condition
- The chemical symbol for god is Au, from the Latin aurum which means “shining dawn”
- Petroleum is used to make over 6,000 items, including ink, golf bags, deodorant, footballs, DVDs, crayons and dentures
- “The luck of the Irish” is an old mining expression that came out of the gold and silver rush in the second half of the 19th Century
- After gold has been mined, approximately 63% is used in jewelry, 21% as coins, 15% in industrial uses including electronics, and the other 1% in dental
- Zinc is 100% recyclable and over 80% of the zinc available for recycling is currently recycled
- The Cullinan diamond is the largest gem-quality diamond ever found, weighing roughly 3106.75 carats
- The U.S. is the world’s largest producer of clay, gypsum, lithium, magnesium, phosphate, salt, silica and sulfur
- The most modern electronic devices contain over 35 minerals
- Canada is one of the largest mining nations in the world, producing more than 60 minerals and metals
As you can see mining is a very important part of our society. A lot of people do not even think about how all of the metals and minerals were found in order to create the luxuries that we have in our lives.
When it comes to mining, it is important that the mining area is safe and secure, not only for the project but for the workers as well. Allsite Structure Rentals can help to provide you with a temporary fabric structure that can give you the shelter and protection that you need in order to keep your mining job up and running. Contact Allsite Structure Rentals today so that you can get started on your project.